Friday, October 31, 2008

It was a 'novel' time

At last I'm back to blogging after a short break. I neither out of topics nor the zeal to blog; but I had been spending quite a lot of time on writing... Yes! I was attempting to write something that resembles a novel and came up with the first draft of one that is similar (in size) to the short Tamizh novels written by authors like Rajesh Kumar or Subhaa.

It was more of a trial, a venture and an assessment; and right now I've left the judges and the jury my parents and my friends who else :)) to rate it. Let me see how I score... For people who might be interested in knowing what the novel is about (if there are any :D), I'm posting the prologue below...

Sridhar was all alone in the 500 sq ft Kashmiri granite floored bedroom, lavishly decorated with teak wood carvings and Belgian glass. Mona Lisa on the northern wall was wondering if she should smile; while Shanthi was laughing out loud with Sridhar before the Eiffel tower, on the southern wall. The eastern side of the room had a broad teak window mounted with sliding, sound-proof glass doors. The shine along the edges of its blinds spoke of their origin and quality and on the north western side of the window was a giant rosewood cot that carried a couple of cozy queen size beds dressed in brick red silk. Sridhar was introducing wrinkles along the face of the red beauty as he collapsed on it; but he was hardly in any mood to note how odd it looked on the silky surface. He was panting and the centralized air conditioner couldn’t prevent the sweat rolling down his forehead or the tears rolling down his cheeks. “How could Shanthi do this to me?” “What made her do this?” “Where did she go?” “What should I forgive her for?” “How am I going to find her?” “How am I going to answer her parents?” – A million questions bombarded his mind before he could fully understand the situation. The tear soaked letter was orphaned on the dressing table like a piece of a Nuke’s shell lying astray after the explosion. It read

Please forgive me. I’ll always love you.

Shanthi”