Friday, April 9, 2010

The largest continent!

I'm not a big fan of gyms; but recently I was contemplating joining one primarily for diversion from this world of computers that I'm living in. As usual, the Libran in me chipped in and I was confused if I should make use of the apartment gym/swimming pool - though they look more like a store room and a water tank respectively - or I should pay like 30 bucks a month and drive 10 miles to get to the cheapest gym around. I didn't come to a conclusion, quite as expected; but I had an interesting experience.

Anyone who's spent some time in US, especially the US gyms would be able to tell the difference between the way a desi guy works out (I'm not talking about fitness freaks here); and an American works out. Most of the desi guys hardly have a clue as to what they should do next and they most often end up in the next available equipment! :)) It's kind of weird to describe but extremely funny to watch - like a pregnant cat trying to decide the place where it's going to deliver! When I went to the gym to do my case study, there was another desi guy there looking around and trying to figure out the best workout strategy. That made two of us and I was happy to know I had company... You know... You don't really feel all that silly when someone else is also doing what you are doing; even if you are doing the dumbest thing on earth! A feeling of being with the community :D

So I ended up in one of the treadmills (just so I don't like like I'm picnicking there :D) and started to walk at a snail pace; quietly observing the other guy. There was a TV at the far end of the gym and some night mode shots and a sand boa were combined in an attempt to scare the viewers. I decided not to look stupid and I stuck to my treadmill while this guy was cycling, weight-lifting, walking and jogging within 15-20 mins; and just as it goes with desi guys, we hardly exchanged smiles or names.

After a while, I felt I walked too much (the meter almost approached 0.5 miles which is too much :D) and I was just about to start back home when this guy started a conversation...

"Are you in C block?"
"No... E block"
"There are many desis in C block"
"Oh..."
"Which part of India are you from?"
"Tamizh Nadu"
"I am AP" (like Gounder saying I yaam Mekanikal bullet jaaki) "My name is Raju"
"Oh..."
"Where are you working"
...Told my office name...

Which technology, which client, how long have you been here and all other de-facto questions followed and I had no choice but to answer them all. Then came the most interesting part of the conversation.

"Did you see the program? They were showing big big snakes"
"Yeah" (Paamba paatthu dhaana bayandha)
"What was the name of the program... Big konda... no no Megakonda" (Konda = Mountain in Telugu :D)
"Yeah"
"Here they have big big snakes..."
"Yeah! African snakes are quite large" (Thinking that he was talking about Anacondas)
"US and Europe snakes are also big."
* continues curiously *
"In Africa, is it big?"
"Yeah. Those snakes are supposed to be the largest"
"No no... I'm asking about the size of Africa"
"Yeah... It's quite big. After all, it's the second largest continent in the world"
"The largest is Europe?"
"Err... No Asia" (I thought Geography was mandatory till X grade)
"Oh... Next"
"Africa" (Adhaan sonnaenae da)
"Next..."
"North America and it goes all the way till Australia" (vittaa paadam nadattha cholluvaainga paola irukku)

...A short pause...

Me: "How long have you been in US" (out of curiosity and badly wanting to change topic)
Him: 6 years (Super la :D)

On a normal day, I would've extended the conversation to have fun; but I was in no mood the other day and the entertainment session ended there. I know that a vast majority of the American people (no offense meant) are ignorant of such basic facts; but for the first time I met an Indian who thought Europe was the largest continent in the world.

No comments: