Friday, May 16, 2008

Bridge

I've been oscillating between too many topics and in the end I ended up writing none... Let me pen them down one by one! :))

Of all the indoor board games invented by man, I've always been fascinated by the game of cards. Pretty simple concept - a stack of 52 cards (54 if you included the jokers) classified into 4 varieties; giving innumerable gaming possibilities. I remember inventing weird games that I used to play with a small group of friends during my childhood. From the simple jackpot (keep putting down your cards alternatively until the same number repeats) to strategy games, there is something for everyone in these 52 cards. I remember the quote - "Life is like a game of cards... None knows who invented it and the players didn't frame the rules. The person who does the best with the given cards, wins". How true...

Until I came here, the game I played the most is rummy - forming sets with at least 3 cards per set on a hand of 13 cards! There were (many a) times we were awake all night playing the game... My good old friend Tampa changed this too! :)

I started playing an inherently beautiful game - 'Bridge' and it just wiped off all my past favorites. Even though it is as dependent on the hand that you get, as with any other card game; bridge is not just about luck... It's about team work, communication, calculations, strategies, taking chances and what not... I love the communication part in particular where the bids that you and your partner make can change the course of the game... The same holds good with one wrong move during the course of the game. Unless you have the artistic perfection to play the right cards at the right time, things could always topsy-turvy; unless you have a very strong set of cards which is bound to get you the expected result - eyes shut. Unlike other board games like chess, you don't always get the same set of cards (or pieces) every time and it's not worth by-hearting the moves as one does with games like chess. All you get is guidelines and it's up to you and your presence of mind to turn things to your favor. In short if you want to spend hours together thinking, celebrating and sighing, bridge is the game for you and trust me, you would find the game irresistible.

http://rpbridge.net/ has a very good collection of resources on the game both for beginners and advanced players. But it takes some real deal of time and brain to understand even these tutorials! :)

1 comment:

ஸ்ரீனிவாசன் said...

I played Bridge 2 yrs back when i was in singapore.... u can relate a lot to a persons true nature with this game, esp that risk taking part !!!!! It's really more than a GAME !!!!!