Sunday, May 4, 2008

My first sports tournament - Ever :)

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you would've noted that I've always stayed away from sports ever since my childhood up until I came to Tampa. And, you know what? Tampa took my sporting to the next level - I participated in a tennis tournament! LOL. It wasn't a pro tour or something but it still was a big thing to me - the first experience.

It was fun indeed... I spent the day with a bunch of desis in all weird combination of dresses, accent and peter level (degree of pseudo-Americanization). It was my first clay court experience and I got to play with a few 'real' tennis players and understood that I need to improve on certain areas. Further it also shattered my belief that I'm not even close to picking up the game. A few whoosh serves and top spins surprised me but I was pretty comfortable in returning even the best of their strokes. I was especially satisfied with my serves and when a good player misses your serve, you feel as if you've won the match!

Personally I felt that the organization could've been better and with the round-robin team formation and strictly 6 game sets, even though it was a doubles game, there was a third player on each side - madam luck and unless you had her favor you can't even get close to the top of the list. (It should not take a rocket scientist to predict that I ran out of luck many a times) After a day full of matches, gatorades, phone calls and driving (the match venue was 40 miles away from our place); I didn't have any material benefit or a trophy in hand but what I did have were a bunch of lessons, lots of strokes to analyze and moments to cherish!

3 comments:

Rams said...

:)

ஸ்ரீனிவாசன் said...

cool da !!!!

Preethi said...

I can really see that you were very excited.gr8.ungal tennis payanangal thodara enathu vaazhtukkal. It is definitely refreshing when you have a physical work-out of some kind