Friday, July 11, 2008

Vallamai Tharayo Tamil Movie Review

Two movie reviews back to back and my blog starts looking more like a movie review site; but I can't help it. I don't find any logic in my life at this moment and my only vent for the past few days have been movies, movies and more movies. Usually what I write is what I feel at that moment and at this moment, Vallamai Thaaraayao (as I would spell it) or Vallamai tharayo (as it is commonly spelt) is occupying my mind. So here we go...

One word review - Average.

Madhumitha proves that she is a debutant in a lot of ways but I should say the movie wasn't bad either. A heroine centered movie is a quite rare phenomenon in Indian cinema especially in Kollywood and this is surely one as one could infer from the trailer.

Story in a few lines:

Nandhitha (Chaaya singh) is from a conservative village family. All through her life she has been told that Shekhar (Srikanth) would be her fiance and all of a sudden she is forced to marry Anand (Parthiban) because of some problems arising between the two families. What happens in Nanditha's life after that is what this movie is about.

Plus points: Dialogs especially towards the end. For the rest, the BGM scores at some places. Chaaya singh has also done justice to her role.

Negative points: Well too many in this area. Karunaas tops the list. Horrible comedies for which I couldn't even manage to smile. Cast/Characterization - Parthiban for a young husband. Servant maid who speaks very eloquent Tamizh and at time uses English words too. Madhumitha should've thought a little bit on these things.

Ignoring logical errors like airtel recorded message coming up for a number abroad, Nandhitha failing to talk to Sekhar even once, appointing a servant maid just like that and letting her wander around the house without any discomfort, etc, etc... the movie still has a solid theme. The second half of the movie is much better than the first half and the scenes where Chaaya singh bursts out in tears, the scene where Parthiban explains how to take life to Chaaya singh and a few other scenes were simply superb. So Madhumitha is capable of making powerful movies but she needs some training and guidance; is what I felt after seeing the movie.

If you are bored and ok for an average (oru dhadava paakkalaam type) movie, then Vallamai tharayo won't disappoint you. But if you are expecting a solid movie crafted to perfection, your expectations will not be met.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Padamaa paathu thallra pola?! Me not watching all movies these days maapi ... very selected ones. From what you say, I am sure this will not make the list ...

Smiles,
Vinayak

Agni said...

Enna pannradhu maapla... I badly need a distraction from my crap! So indha vaaram daily oru padam! :)

I heard Subramaniapuram is very good! Online la vara waiting :(

This song from that movie is just too good - Kangal Irandaal

Lakshminarayanan S said...

Wait machi...I am watching Subrmanyapuram tomorrow and will post my review...ore reviewa ezhudhi thallitturukka...good good...but I sincerely feel that Vallamai Thaaraayo doesnt deserve a post :)