Monday, January 26, 2009

Copy cat... :)

When it comes to Tamizh music directors, the title 'copy cat' was synonymous to Deva until a few years back. These days, though I hear occasional news about some track being copied, I was under the impression that at least a major portion of the songs were being composed originally. But I was disproved totally today! :) As usual I was spending time on Youtube and on this occasion I was listening to some very old classics like "Ennirandu padhinaaru vayadhu", "Ullatthil nalla ullam" etc; and ended up seeing a related video called 'Copy cat Harris Jeyaraj'. Harris Jeyaraj copying western songs isn't news; but the number of songs he's copied definitely is, at least to me. I mean, almost all his famous songs have been branded as plagiarized. This was disgusting to know and honestly if music composition is only about this, I could become a music director too. I wonder how the producers and directors encourage such things! Below are a few songs I found on Youtube and don't miss the last video that got me ROTFL :)
























The point to be noted is that this guy has not even been for a decade in the industry and the list given here would pretty much cover 10% of his songs! All I could say is EKSI!

2 comments:

Rams said...

enna maaple ivlo poor gkvaa unakku... thr r even more songs, many direct rehashes of ARR's numbers... Onnu rendunaa thaniya sollalaam... Saramaariya adikrache kandupidikravaingalukkum aluthu poirudhulle...

Anonymous said...

good one...I have been seeing Harris's copy numbers in Youtube for a long time now.

FYI, including MSV, Ilayaraja, ARR and many others, everyone has copied music from other sources (probably ARR is the only one who has never copied a tune)...you can get the full list from

http://www.itwofs.com