Saturday, April 12, 2008

Sports and me!

Ever since my childhood I've always been a XXL (in Indian standards)! :) I tend to spend time on self-analysis, thoughts, movies, strategic games and perhaps magazines and books at times. Given that there are just 24 hours a day and out of that I spend at least 10-12 hrs (on a holiday) sleeping, this implies that I hardly got any time for sports. To complement this, the environment I grew up was not like a colony in Manirathnam's Anjali (see video below to get a feel of what I'm talking about).



It was a good mix of upper middle class, laborers and middle class families (let's say 10%, 50% and 40% respectively) each having their own aspirations and interests. With the lack of space and conflicting status/interests, we kids hardly got along with each other; let alone playing together. The wheezing trouble I had during my childhood was the chief of all these hindrances and it almost put a full stop on sporting. The best I played was during my summer hols when we played cricket and badminton and when I say summer hols it should be presumable that I'm talking about my high school days! Even during college, when I got involved in a wide variety of activities, the sports section of my resume still remained blank! :)

Years ran by, things changed and today I'm in US as a Software Engineer and I'd say this is the most active portion of my life as far as sports are concerned. Tennis, Volley ball, Table Tennis, Swimming and a bit of cricket, basketball and snooker have all become my frequent and favorite hobbies. I'd say tennis is the best of the lot in my view and my interest in the game has grown a lot off-late. Playing a physically consuming game like tennis is quite refreshing indeed.

Irrespective of the game that we play, there is just one constant factor to win - reduce the errors and at some point the opponent will commit a mistake. It's taken 25 long years to infer this basic rule and I wish, pray and hope that this trend continues and keeps me fit before I start becoming a XXL in US standards (trust me a XXL here is almost twice as wide as a XXL in India).

No comments: