Saturday, April 5, 2008

Top 10 Class 'A' actors ever...

If you had a chance to read my post named 'Anderson... Sam Anderson', I spoke about three flavors of actors and this post is about the first flavor of actors I spoke about - actors who dedicate themselves and provide the best quality output to their fans. Again, it's not a universal constant and art is complemented by the reach, interest and admiration of the viewers. So out of the movies I've seen, the acting I've enjoyed and the performances that made a difference (in Tamil, Telugu, Hindi and English movies), I've picked 10 great actors and their (arguably) best performance, of course limited by the availability in You Tube.

Sivaji Ganesan:

He's considered to be the best actor in Tamizh film industry so far. I've embedded the clip from Devar Magan where he and Kamal haasan talk to each other about the violence in their village. Kamal would try his best to match him, but Sivaji just outranks Kamal.



Kamal Haasan:

Not a surprise entry in this list! One of the best and arguably the second best actor in Tamizh cinema industry. A natural actor who fits neatly into any kind of role given to him. The clip below is just one example from the movie Mahanadhi.



Tom Hanks:

We usually call him the Sivaji Ganesan of Hollywood. An amazing actor who acts so naturally that it's hard to believe he is actually acting. His dedication for Cast Away just blew me off.



Nagesh:

One of the greatest actors in the history of Tamizh cinema. He shines as a comedian, a villain, a character artist and what not! The piece from the movie Nammavar where he reacts to the death of his daughter is the outstanding piece IMHO.



Al Pacino:

One of my all time favorites. You could see the clip below from the movie 'The Scent of a Woman' and understand why the God Father is the favorite to so many across the world.



Balayya:

Balayya is synonymous to natural acting in the dictionary of Tamizh viewers in the past generation. An amazing actor who molds himself just so easily and his dialog delivery style is quite famous and its considered a Balayya trademark. The scene from Kadhalikka Neramillai is the classic example.




Aamir Khan:

Even though I haven't seen hundreds of Hindi movies, I've seen the performances of almost all the contemporary heroes. Eyes shut, Aamir is my all time favorite when it comes to Hindi movies.



Prakashraj:

A natural actor who acts with a personal touch. He starts living as the character and puts in things that he would do if he were the person he is enacting. I love him not only for his acting but also as a person.



Russel Crowe:

The Gladiator is one of the typical examples of his talent. His specialty is the small expressions that make a huge difference. A simple glare, an apparently invisible smile and a gesture would suit so naturally to the situation and the character.



Raghuvaran:

A born villain I'd say. His body language, voice and gestures are quite so prominent that he is mimicked in almost all stage performances. The interview scene in the movie Mudhalvan is his masterpiece.



Hope you enjoyed the 'My favorite scenes' session!

3 comments:

Ramaa Iyer said...

Amazing compilation is the first thing that strikes me here.And another best thing is the way you have given an individual script for each actor,so that no 2 of them look similar even in the way they have been described here.

My personal fav out of the lot will be for Nagesh,Raghuvaran & Prakashraj..You know the reasons :)

Lakshminarayanan S said...

Good collection.

But you should not have missed Jack Nicolson...or may be u have missed to watch 'One Flew Over Cuckoo's nest'...

and if you have any of your non-Tamil friends reading your blog, you are going to get thrashed as BigB is not included :)

Agni said...

@SLN
I haven't seen Jack Nicolson's movie
that you mentioned!

But with BigB, I accept he has a great voice and a good personality. But acting, I'm not sure.