Friday, June 20, 2008

The Survival of the Fittest

This is not a post on Darwin's theory though it is a derivative of the theory. Darwin indeed did a great job in analysis of the process of evolution. Imagine the years it has taken for the human race to find out this naive reality* or to re-discover this reality, to be more precise. Though there are so many attributes that Darwin explained, I like one part the most - "the survival of the fittest". He goes a step further and defines what is fitness in his own words.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change"

If we try to re-define the definition given in 1859 to the current world, what would characterize a 'fit' individual? To be frank, the thought scares me. Can you smile on the front and stab from behind? You are fit! Can you get all the affection, care and advantage from someone and cut his throat with blood as cold as ice? You are fit too! Can you wait for the right time to hit the person who trusted you so much and hit straight at his weakness without the slightest hesitation in mind? You are the hero of 2008! What kind of society have we developed? What kind of believes have we developed? Have we really 'evolved' to lose all the happiness that our ancestors had? Million thoughts cross my mind before I wink.

Perhaps this process of evolution (towards artificiality) is irresistible in a system and that is why the orchestrator decides to pull down the curtains once in a while and set things back to the starting position just like a kid playing with a toy-train places it back where it started, to avoid it from getting derailed. After all if we (mortals) worry so much about ecology, ecosystems and ozone layers which are nothing more than paintings drawn by our mind with varying clarity and ambiance; the creator who made the magic happen, the eternal energy that man is unable to get to, and the driving force that keeps life going, has to think about it. Isn't it?! Though I hate Kamal for a lot of his personal traits, I couldn't help quoting a line from one of my all time favorite movies 'Anbe Sivam'.


"Only when it goes beyond comprehension, we call it God!"


How true...

* I know that certain conservatives still consider the theory to be false. But in my honest opinion, I strongly believe (as many others do) that the theory is a reality. Further as a practicing Hindu, I trust in what the religion symbolizes. Right from Dasavathara to animal-human forms of God; the religion portrays the theory of evolution all through. See video below for a sample and I'll come up with a separate post on this pretty soon!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Not much into these things Maapi ...

Might not be relevant, but since you spoke of Darwin and linked to dasavatharam, cant stop from mentioning about 'Tao of physics' (I have not read, but known the book pretty well). You might have read this already ... about how science links to spirituality. You might like it ...

Smiles,
Vinayak

Agni said...

I'm not as extensive a reader as you think maaps... :) I've heard bout the book and I'll surely read it when I get a chance... Thanks anyways!

ஸ்ரீனிவாசன் said...

good post...it's all interpretation maapla. u can relate everything to religion, i look at it as mere science. sari vidu , that back-stab part is really true...just tight slap on the face...but it's like that only...survival of the fittest !!!

Agni said...

Srini... Religion has been used as a tool to express phenomenal facts is where I'm getting at... Science keeps telling you a lot of things about armageddon... But everything is a prediction! There's something beyond human comprehension that's happening outside our planet. That's my crux. I call the driving force as God. If you want to express God in complex equations, ok... U got it :)

ஸ்ரீனிவாசன் said...

see, this is where the argument starts...if somethings un-explainable..then just give full credit to GOD...i cant accept this alone !!!!

Rams said...

@Srini: Some people call it nature... someone else as energy...some one else as god... call it whatever you wnat, but that understanding that there is something beyond our understanding is happening to keep the life happening is all that is needed. You don't have to necessarily put a name on it. Religions, in order to take these esoteric, beyond normal human perception realities to common man and stories were a great medium to impart them. That's how we come across so many brilliant fantastic stories. Now that the context is lost, these stand as mere stories without the fundamental essence with which they were created and hence all the arguments...

No need to believe or disbelieve the existence or non existence of something about which one doesn't have the slightest experience of... :)

Agni said...

@Rams

I second you. But one minor variation in thought there...

//No need to believe or disbelieve the existence or non existence of something about which one doesn't have the slightest experience of... //

I'd say one has to admit that there are things happening so systematically in the universe that is inexplicable even to the greatest scientists. The existence of this systematic something has to be accepted in any name or even without a name. But it can't just be ignored!

ஸ்ரீனிவாசன் said...

@ Rama : "No need to believe or disbelieve the existence or non existence of something about which one doesn't have the slightest experience of... :)"
Yes i have not experienced anything of that sort, the output i am getting is directly proportional to the input. So if some experience of that sort happens i may accept ur virtues. There are things that are un-explainable happening around, but i really dont want to relate tht to GODly things, it happens just because it happens !!! thats it. U can hell my ignorance but i like to prevail in this, so that atleast i have a feel that 'I am responsible for my life '. I account myself for all my success and losses. I really dont want to experience that eternal things, i like to keep my life simple. What you have been telling is not my PATH, i chose my own.You can say there are lots of ignorant souls around, well, i decided that my future will be made out these ignorant souls as bait.
It really doesnt make the difference if u beleive or not and you know better how i beleived, this is just a realisation, not only the beleif will give u things u needed, it's u , who has to work for it. I choose to work for myself beleiving my abilities rather than GOD will help me sort of stuffs........I realized that GOD is just a beleif and not miracle for things to happen around. So i came away !!!!