Thursday, November 27, 2008

Even the great commit mistakes...

A long time since I made consecutive posts in a day... And perhaps this is the first time I'm posting two consecutive posts on diametrically opposite topics.

I was seeing Mouna Ragam earlier today... It's one of my favorite scripts and I couldn't recollect the entire movie sequence. This is not the news! Hold on... I've seen the movie a lot of times before and I don't remember when was the last time I saw the movie in full. Today, I wanted to see how Manirathnam has done his work in a movie that was directed during the early stages of his career. To my surprise, there were quite a few flaws throughout the movie. There were a lot of minor ones like lighting difference in a sequence and costumes; but what caught my eyes were two major ones - some scenes were out of sequence in the Mandram vandha thendralukkuu song and Revathy/Mohan pair walks out in the streets of Delhi; and at a later stage Revathi says they've never been out together. The worst mistake of the lot is the climax scene... Revathi would sit in a compartment that is in the middle of the train and when they get down, they will be in the last but one compartment. When they get down, an engine will be behind the train in the same track. And worst of all when the train moves off, the frame is narrowed to avoid showing that it's a goods train. But a shutter on one of the compartments gives it off... :D

All in all, I learned one good lesson... Even the legends today did make mistakes in their first few steps; and when constant efforts are put forth, perfection can be achieved. That's quite encouraging to me! :))

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Probably Mani would have noticed this, but how much of authority he had to make things 'his' way and without a glitch is what we do not know .. and that too for something an ardent fan who has seen the movie n times finds out the flaws after n+1 th time :)

Now he has the complete power and can aim at perfection

I tend to do this flaw-finding in Shankar movies ..

Smiles,
Vinayak

Agni said...

Ha ha ha :) I agree maapla! But so far the brilliance of the story and screenplay took me away from being a critic; and this is the first time I saw the movie with an intention of understanding his direction! Perhaps the climax scene had a lot of limitations because of our good old Southern Railways; but editing and filling up wrong scenes is the height of imperfection and that is the last thing I expected from a Mani movie! :) So it was kind of encouraging to know that even the best director hasn't been right from day 1 :D :D

And yeah... I do it for all movies... Now it's Mani's time... Today's movie - Kannatthil mutthamittal! Perhaps I'll take up Shankar movies after this... :))